These cases were certified for publication by the court and/or the subject of publicity in the press, and only represent a fraction of the cases actually handled by attorneys of this firm. We do not publicize our clients’ cases that have not already become publicly known.
- In re Cattle and Beef Antitrust Litigation, 0:20-cv-01319-JRT-HB (D. Minn.).
- Sandee’s Catering et al. v. Agri Stats, Inc. et al., 1:20-cv-02295 (N.D. Ill.).
- In re Pork Antitrust Litigation, 0:18-cv-01776-JRT-HB (D. Minn.).
- Hard Disk Drive Suspension Assemblies Antitrust Litigation, 3:19-md-02918-MMC (N.D. Cal. 2019). Special Counsel to Co-Lead Counsel for the Reseller Plaintiffs in antitrust litigation involving a global conspiracy to fix prices of, and allocate market shares for, hard disk drive (“HDD”) suspension assemblies, described by the Asst. Attorney General of the DOJ’s Antitrust Division as “critical to the operation and performance of electronic devices, and their impact on American consumers and business is direct and substantial”.
- Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation, 2:12-md-02311-MOB-MKM (E.D. Mich 2012). Special Counsel to the three Co-Lead Counsel for the Auto Dealership Plaintiffs in scores of antitrust cases that are an outgrowth of one of the largest international criminal antitrust investigations in history–in fact, the largest in the history of the United States Department of Justice.
- In Re AXA Rosenberg Investor Litigation, 3:11-cv-00536-JSW, 3:11-cv-00897-JSW, 3:11-cv-02594-JSW (N.D.Cal. 2011). Worked intimately with outside counsel, more as a partner than as a client, with respect to several consolidated class action lawsuits. Drafted motions and other pleadings, and played a key role in a mediation resulting in a settlement acceptable to all parties involved, including related court hearings.
- Shueisha Co., Ltd. v. Playboy Enterprises International, Inc., JPO Trial Decision of June 26, 2003 (Igi 2002-90016). Successful action to protect Playboy’s word mark as a magazine title.
- Levi Strauss & Co. v. Edwin Co., Ltd., Tokyo High Court Decision of Dec. 26, 2001 (Case No. 2000 (ne) 3882). Represented Levi Strauss in a now well-known case protecting the arcuate stitch pocket design. Reversed negative factual findings by Tokyo District Court that pocket stitch design not subject to protection.
- Pias Arise Co., Ltd. v. Playboy Enterprises International, Inc., JPO Trial Decision of April 3, 2000 (Igi 1999-90433). Successful action against Japanese company attempting to register a trademark for a variant of Playboy’s Rabbit Head device.
- Gibson Guitar Corporation v. Fernandes Co., Ltd., Tokyo High Court Decision of Feb. 24, 2000 (Case No. 1998 (ne) 2942). Represented Gibson Guitar Corporation against Japanese guitar manufacturer Fernandes on an unfair competition matter involving Les Paul look-alikes. Now a very well-known case on trade dress and dilution in Japan. Reversed negative factual findings by Tokyo District Court but precluded by laches.
- Johnson Electric North America, Inc. v. Mabuchi Motor America Corp., 878 F.2d 1445 (Fed. Cir. 1989), 979 F.2d 215 (Fed. Cir. 1992), 77 F.Supp.2d 446 (S.D.N.Y. 1999), 98 F.Supp.2d 480 (S.D.N.Y. 2000). Represented world’s largest maker of micro motors (Mabuchi) against the second largest maker of such motors (Johnson of Hong Kong) in a series of patent lawsuits in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Taiwan and Hong Kong against motor designs made by Johnson.
- Acuson Corp. v. Aloka Co., Ltd., 209 Cal.App.3d 425 (subsequently decertified), 10 U.S.P.Q.2d 1814 (1989). Represented Japanese ultrasound diagnostic equipment maker in trade secret litigation brought by Acuson. Appeals Court decision reversed a preliminary injunction and confirmed the right to reverse engineer designs not covered by a valid patent.
- Electronic commerce law: Japan, John Kakinuki with Yasuyoshi Goto, Asia Business Law Review no 30. p. 33-6 (October 2000)
- “Similarity” and other issues in Japanese trademark law, John Kakinuki, The Trademark Reporter v 85. p. 424-46 (July 1995)
- Topics in Japanese trade mark law, John Kakinuki, European Intellectual Property Review v 16. p. 103-10 (March 1994)
- Recent developments in Japanese regulation of international technology transfers, John Kakinuki with Hiroshi Kondo, California International Practitioner v 4. p. 60-8 (April 1993)
- How the Japanese handle interference issues in their first-to-file world, John Kakinuki, AIPLA Quarterly Journal v 18. p. 80-99 (1990)
- Protection of trade marks and anti-counterfeiting law in Japan, John Kakinuki, European Intellectual Property Review v 12. p. 6-11 (January 1990)
- Recent developments in Japanese patent law, John Kakinuki with Hidetaka Sekine, European Intellectual Property Review v 11. p. 235-8 (July 1989)